Venture Capital Trusts
Help small companies grow, save income tax and receive tax-free dividends
A Venture Capital Trust (VCT) is a publicly listed company run by a fund manager. It aims to make money by investing in small, unquoted, entrepreneurial companies and helping them grow.
When you as a private investor buy shares in a VCT, you get access to a portfolio of small companies. The government is keen for experienced investors
to invest in this kind of company, because they create jobs and support
economic growth. However, investing in small businesses is risky. To help
compensate for this, the government offers generous tax benefits:
- Up to 30% tax relief – save up to £60,000 on your income tax bill when you invest in newly issued VCT shares
- Tax-free dividends – £294 million paid out in 2018/19 alone
- Tax-free growth – no CGT on gains
- No need to declare dividends on your tax return
- Generous allowance – invest up to £200,000 per tax year
Remember, tax rules can change and tax benefits depend on circumstances.
See all current offers below – you can read our review, download the offer documents and apply online. We also list VCT offers due to open this tax year – you can register your interest and we'll send you an alert as soon as the offer is live.